Technical Details - Crystals, Oscillators and Filters
This page details technical information available on this website. Subjects covered are:-
- crystal and oscillator theory,
- brief notes on the derivation of crystal part numbers and
- an explanation of crystal and oscillator terms.
Additionally, an extensive application notes section is available.
- Technical Notes: Crystal & oscillator theory (PDF)
- Application notes: Practical circuit examples (PDF)
- Crystal Specification: Description of crystal parameters and how to specify crystals
- Oscillator Specification: Glossary of oscillator terms
- Filter Specification: Glossary of basic filter terms
Further explanation of contents is given below.
If you are an engineer working mostly within digital techniques these notes may help with analogue theory relating to crystals and oscillator design. The subject is treated non-mathematically. Among the subjects covered are:
- Determination of an oscillator circuit as series or parallel resonant.
- Crystal Equivalent Circuit
- Network Transformations
- Crystal Calibration
- Crystal Impedance Meter
- Oscillator Theory (conditions for oscillation, phase-shift etc.)
- Gain and drive-level
- Basic oscillator circuits with component values for frequencies <150MHz
- Designing CMOS and TTL circuits
- Approximate formulae
- Click here to download Euroquartz Technical Notes (pdf)
The application notes .PDF file contains several practical circuits and examples including:
- IC compatible oscillators
- Low-noise crystal oscillators
- Schmitt-Trigger oscillators
- Overtone oscillators
- Easy start-up oscillators
- Temperature-compensated crystal oscillators
- Voltage-controlled crystal oscillators
- Click here to download Euroquartz Application Notes (pdf)
This is a page containing basic information on crystal parameters, including an explanation of the method used to determine a crystal specification.
Click on the link to view Euroquartz Crystal Specification Notes
A page containing basic technical information relating to packaged oscillators.
Click on the link to view Euroquartz Oscillator Specification Notes
Specification of Filters
A basic explanation of filter technical terms. Filter Specification Notes
For custom filter specification information see our separate page Euroquartz Filters.
If you require any further information, please complete our simple contact form, or call us on Tel +44 (0)1460 230000or email firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our engineers will be touch.